Quickly Add Another Choice
Select a field and click Add another choice to quickly add a choice to checkbox or radio button fields. The text for the new choice will be made editable so that you can modify it.
Press the Tab key while editing choice text to quickly add more choices.
Add, edit, delete, and rearrange choices for all multiple choice field types in the Edit Choices menu. Select the field and click Edit Choices to open the Basic menu:
From within the Edit Choices menu:
Add new choices
Type in your choices or copy and paste from an existing list
Edit choice text
Click on a choice and type
Drag and drop vertically
Click on the red buttons on the right side
Sort choices alphabetically
Click Sort(a-z) (click again for reverse alphabetical sort)
Delete all choices
Click Delete All
Edit Choices - Dependencies
If you have a dropdown menu set to be dependent on another menu, you can make additional changes in the Edit Choices menu:
Add a new choice to a particular category,
Click Add to Parent Menu or Add to Child Menu
Move choices between parent and child menus
If the CSV Format box for the dependent menu is not checked, each line entered will represent one choice.
For example, without the CSV Format box checked, Dairy,Cheese will be one choice. With the CSV Format box checked and Dairy,Cheese as the choice text, Dairy will be added to the parent menu and Cheese will be listed as a child menu choice within that parent menu.
To use the CSV format:
- Set up a menu dependency between two dropdown fields in the Options sidebar.
- Click Edit Choices.
- Check the CSV Format box.
- Type each set of parent and child choices on the same line, separated by a comma. For example: Dairy, Cheese. You can also paste in multiple sets of comma separated values—include each set on a separate line.
- Click Add or press Enter.
The Autosuggest menu option works best for large menus and can support up to 250,000 choices. With Autosuggest, rather than locating choices in a lengthy dropdown menu, users are instead able to begin typing into a text input field and have valid entries from a list you upload suggested to them.
If you are an enterprise user, you will need to make sure the Can Use Datasets permission is checked under User Roles in the Admin Dashboard for any user wishing to use this feature.
Autosuggest is available to all Premier and Enterprise users. The feature can be used on all forms that are using Form Builder version 4.4.0 or higher, which is currently the default for all new forms created. The Autosuggest feature is not compatible with our Menu Dependency feature.
Please note, using the Autosuggest feature will overwrite any choices added in the Basic menu. We do not recommend adding any sensitive information to your Autosuggest datasets (e.g., SSN).
To begin, select a field, click Edit Choices, and then choose the Autosuggest menu.
In the Autosuggest Menu:
- Click Choose File to upload a correctly formatted single or double column CSV file. (Once you've uploaded a valid file, you'll also be able to reuse it by choosing it in the Select a file dropdown menu).
- If your CSV features data in a language other than English, select that language from the Language dropdown field. Only one language can be used for each dropdown menu.
- Click Preview.
- You'll be presented with a preview of your data set that contains the first five rows of the set and the last two rows of the set. From the image above:
- The name of the CSV file you've uploaded and a button for exporting it.
- A preview of your data set, featuring the first five rows of the CSV and the last two rows
- The total number of entries (rows) in the data set
- A checkbox to create a new field to receive data from the second column will be present if you've uploaded a two column CSV.
- Click Done to complete setup and return to the Form Builder
You'll see that in the Form Builder, your dropdown menu field has been replaced with a text input field (or two, if you uploaded a two column CSV). To test out your new menu, click Preview from the View menu at the top of the Form Builder.
Begin typing in the text input field. As you do, you'll see a list of possible values suggested. Click on one of the values to select it and set the field value to that choice.
By default, if you've uploaded a two column CSV, the field created for the second column's values will be set to be hidden from the form respondent. This is useful if you need to pass data (for example, an ID number) to Salesforce or another connector but don't want that to be visible in the form (Note: This is not secure and this feature should only be used for data that you consider public).
To set that field to be visible to the user:
- Select the field.
- In the Options sidebar, click Change Question Type.
- In the Change Question Type tab, click Single Line Text
Autosuggest CSV Formatting Guidelines
- The CSV may have a maximum of 250,000 items
- The CSV may have a minimum of one column and a maximum of two columns.
- The first column of the CSV needs to be a human readable and searchable column heading. The system will ignore the FIRST line of the CSV while it is being processed, as it assumes that this line will contain column headings.
- Example First Line: Company_Name, Unique_ID
- Columns must be delimited (separated) by a comma—no other delimiter is accepted.
- Example: Column,Row
- Cells that contain commas as part of their value MUST BE enclosed by double quotation marks.
- Example: "Google, Inc",12345