You can use the Salesforce Prefill Connector to prefill a form with values from dependent objects using only one parameter in the URL. This can be helpful for creating a short and simple URL while still maintaining complexity within your connector by pulling data from multiple Salesforce objects.
Recommended Publishing Methods
- REST API
- Salesforce Portal/Communities
- Hosted by FormAssembly
About Dependent Objects
Dependent objects can be useful in organizing the flow of data and defining relationships between related records within the connector.
For instance, if you want to make sure a respondent is not a Contact or Lead before creating their Contact record, you would need to use dependent objects. See this example.
Prefill Using Dependent Records
- In the connector, select Configure your first lookup.
- In the select an object drop-down menu, choose the first object to lookup. This object should be the object you will use as the parent record.
- Enter a value to represent the parameter. This is very flexible, and it's up to you, just make sure you use a text value with no special characters or spaces. In this case, the value is acctid, short for account ID.
- Map the fields for this object.
- Select OK at the top of the connector step.
- Click the button Add an Object dependent on _____ where the blank will be the name of the parent object.
- This new object will automatically be setup to be the child object.
- In the Lookup Query for your new child object, select the Salesforce field that references the parent object and then set the lookup query to be equal to a lookup result of the object above.
- Map the fields for this step.
- Repeat steps 6-9 to add other dependent objects if necessary.
- Direct your respondents with a prefilled link.